Saturday, April 5, 2008

11 years today

My father had skin like leather hands like steel from a lifetime spent in the cottonfields though he'd come home tired and dirty almost every night he found the strength to smile at me and hold my mama tight while that old transistor radio would play the opry out in the hall I'd sit and watch their shadows glide across the wall
and they'd dance to a Dixie lullaby picture of love beneath the southern sky oh my what a beautiful life just like a Dixie lullaby
i left home at 18 in a hand me down Chevrolet packed my mamas goodness and my old mans stubborn ways it was college, work, and love then the babies came the youngest ones got his granddaddy's name and in the early morning hours when my children could not sleep.I'd rock them in my arms to a simple beat
and id sing them a Dixie lullaby hush baby don't you start to cry oh my what a beautiful life just like a Dixie lullaby
my father was a mountain of a man that was the description that i gave the morning that we laid him in his grave there with my mama by his side, we said our last goodbye to a man we thought would never die as i stood there in the fields of amazing grace oh how the tears ran down my face.
and i sang him a Dixie lullaby well meet again, by and by oh my what a beautiful life just like a Dixie lullaby oh my what a beautiful life just like a Dixie lullaby
this is a song by pat green that i just love i cant listen to it because it makes me cry everytime.
losing a parent at so young in life is hard you fill robbed and cheated their is so much he missed he died 1 month before i graduated high school he did not get to walk me down the asile he missed the births of my children and the joys of being their granddaddie (sometimes im happy he missed this part. they are too spoiled as it is) my greatest fear in life is dying and leaving my children. this morning jay and i was talking about a friend of our whos father is dying and jay said well maybe thats the way you want them to go . death is never easy no matter how old or sick my father would have been 43 on his birthday 3 weeks after he died he had never been ill he just had a massive heart attach i chose this way because he called from work said he did not fill well and was coming home told me he loved me and then talked to my mother and told her the same and never made it home I'm so greatful that i did not have to watch him suffer and it was peaceful. yes their were things i would have loved to tell him like how much i loved and respected the fact he raise me like his own and how i was greatful to have him in my life and how noone would ever replace him (not even my real father) but you know he knows all of that now and he is a part of his grandchildrens lifes hes their gardian angel.....

No comments: